The Way To Salafiyyah Book by Shaykh Sultaan ibn ‘Abdurrahmaan al-‘Eed
Introduction: The Way To Salafiyyah
All Perfect Praise be to Allaah, we praise Him, seek His aid, and ask His forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allaah from the evils of ourselves and from our bad deeds. He whom Allaah guides, there is None to MISGUIDE him, and He whom he leaves astray there is NONE to guide him! I bear witness that none is worthy of Worship but Allaah, who is alone without partners and I bear witness that Muhammad (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam) is His slave and Messenger.
“O you who believe! Fear Allaah (by doing all that He has ordered and by abstaining from all that He has forbidden) as He should be feared. [Obey Him, be thankful to Him, and remember Him always], and die not except in a state of Islâm (as Muslims) with complete submission to Allaah.” [Aal-’Imraan: 102]
“O mankind! Be dutiful to your Lord, Who created you from a single person (Aadam), and from him (Aadam) He created his wife [Hawwa (Eve)], and from them both He created many men and women and fear Allaah through whom you demand your mutual (rights), and (do not cut the relations of) the wombs (kinship). Surely, Allaah is Ever an All-Watcher over you.” [An-Nisaa: 1]
“O you who believe! Keep your duty to Allaah and fear Him, and speak (always) the truth. He will direct you to do righteous good deeds and will forgive you your sins. And whosoever obeys Allaah and His Messenger (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam) he has indeed achieved a great achievement (i.e. he will be saved from the Hell-fire and made to enter Paradise).” [Al-Ahzaab: 70-71]
“Verily the most truthful speech is the Book of Allaah, and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam.
And the worst matters are the newly invented matters, and ALL new matters are innovations into the religion, and all the innovations are misguidance, and all the misguidance lead to the fire.”
Before you is a short treatise entitled: “ The Way to Salafiyyah “. This treatise was written by Shaykh Sultaan al-‘Eed. A well-known Salafee Shaykh, who is very active in spreading the knowledge and methodology of the Sunnah.
A Brief biography of The Shaykh:
He is Abu ‘Abdurrahmaan Sultaan ibn ‘Abdurrahmaan al-‘Eed. Born in Riyaadh, and he still lives there.
His studies, and those he took his knowledge from:
He took knowledge from a number of the Scholars of Saudi Arabia:
- His Eminence, The Imaam, Shaykh ‘Abdul’azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah increase his rank):
He attended the gatherings of his Eminence (Shaykh Ibn Baaz), at the Jaami’ Kabeer (The Major University) and its Masjid in Riyaadh.
- Shaykh, al-’Allaamah, al-Faqeeh (the jurist), Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him):
He attended the classes of the Shaykh in the Masjid al-Haraam. And specifically in the year 1411 A.H.
And he also used to attend the classes and gatherings of al-’Uthaymeen, in the University of the Shaykh in Unaiza.
- al-‘Allaamah , the Shaykh of the Hanaabilah of his time , Shaykh ‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Abdul’azeez ibn ‘Aqeel (Allaah has benefited us by him) :while in his young age he (Shaykh Sultaan) read to him: “ Hidaayatur- Raaghib”
- He also read to him : “ Daleel al-Taalib” , as well as the introduction and verification and notes made by Shaykh Sultaan himself to this text. Thus Shaykh ‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Abdul’azeez ibn ‘Aqeel praised him for this work and said : “ You are a proof on top of a proof.”
- He also read to him : ‘Jaami’ al-Manaasik’ (The Book of collection of Rites ). A book authored by Shaykh Sultaan. He read all of it to Shaykh Ibn ‘Aqeel , who wrote the introduction to it , and praised the book and its author.
- Shaykh , al Faqeeh , ‘AbdulMuhsin ibn Naasir al-‘Ubaykaan (may Allaah preserve him): the Shaykh was steadfast and regular in attending the classes of Shaykh ‘Ubaykaan , for more than 20 years ! And he read from him : ‘ar-rawdhah al-marbee’ (two times) , bulooghul maraam , and Saheeh Muslim.And he also attended many explanations of treatises and books which were given by Shaykh al-‘Ubaykaan.
- Shaykh , al-‘Allaamah , Saaleh ibn Fawzaan al-Fawzaan (may Allaah strengthen him) :
-he attended some classes which were at the Jaami’ al-Ameer in Riyaadh.
From those he read for , in the faculty of sharee’ah in Riyaadh :
- His Eminence , the Mufti , Shaykh ‘Abdul’azeez aalu-shaykh (may Allaah preserve him)
- Shaykh Saaleh ibn ‘Abdurrahmaan al-Atram (may Allaah forgive him) . A member of the committee of Major Scholars.
- Shaykh ‘Abdul’azeez ibn Daawood (may Allaah preserve him) . A member of the committee of Verdicts.
The Shaykh also studied under :
- Shaykh , al-‘Allaamah , Ahmad ibn Yahyaa an-Najmee (may Allaah strengthen him) :
- the Shaykh read for him his explanation of ‘the four principles’ , in the house of Shaykh An-Najmee in Jizaan.
- the Shaykh read for him ‘alfiyyah al-haafidh al-‘Iraaqee fee Seerah an-nabawiyya ” in Riyaadh. and he gave him an ijaazah in narrating the ‘six books of hadeeth’
Shaykh an-Najmee praised him for his work in da’wah by saying :
“ It has reached to me through concurrent narrations about your efforts in spreading the Da’watu Salafiyyah. And your opposition against the innovators and methodology of the hizbees (partisans).
May Allaah reward you with good, and may Allaah bless you in your efforts. And this is what has made me love you , for the sake of Allaah… “
- Shaykh , al-‘Allaamah Zayd al-Madkhalee (may Allaah pardon him)
- he read for Shaykh Zayd in the masjid of the Shaykh in Saamit (southern Arabia) : some of the treatises of the reviver , Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘AbdulWahhab.
And in his recommendation of Shaykh Sultaan , Shaykh Zayd said :
“ And I advise you to benefit from him , because of his sufficiency in knowledge and his wisdom in da’wah (propagation).
This is what I deem him to be , and Allaah knows his account.”
- Shaykh , al-‘Allaamah ‘Ubayd ibn ‘Abdullah al-Jaabiree (may Allaah strengthen him) :
- he read for him ; the book of knowledge from saheeh al-Bukhaaree
- the introduction of ‘Allaamah ‘Abdurrahmaan as-Sa’dee in “the ‘aqeedah of Ahlus- Sunnah (it is printed as the introduction of the explanation of kitaabu tawheed of ‘Allaamah ‘Abdurrahmaan as-Sa’dee: “alqawlus-sadeed”
And the Shaykh has attended many more gatherings and sittings of knowledge from the respected scholars , from various parts of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
From his works and writings :
- Verification and notes on ‘Daleel ul-Taalib’ of al-Karmee al-Hanbalee
- The Book ‘ al Jaami’ al Manaasik ’ : It is a collection of the writings , rulings and verdicts of the some major scholars of past and current eras . And these are An- nawawee , al-muhib at-Tabaaree , Ibn Taymiyyah , ibn Jaasir, Ibn Baaz , Al-Albaanee and ibn ‘Uthaymeen.
- ‘Ta’arruf ‘alaa Jamaa’at-ut-Tableegh” (Knowing the Jamaa’at-ut-Tableegh) :
The Shaykh exposes the deviance of this innovated group. And he explains with clear proofs , the evil methodology and effects of their path.
And this book contains more than twenty eight fatwa’s (verdicts) from the Major Scholars of the Sunnah ; warning against this group and their deviant misguided methodology.
- And the Shaykh has written numerous treatises / articles ; on the wicked extremism and fitna of the khawaarij of our era.
May Allaah bless the Shaykh and increase his efforts of teaching and spreading the Sunnah.
The Format of this Treatise :
The treatise is divided into two main sections :
- The means of knowing and sticking to the Manhaj of The Salaf ; The Saved Sect ; The Victorious Group.
- The description of the traits of those who are in opposition to the Way of the Salaf. The methodology of the innovators , the hizbees (partisans) .
Wherever , there was a need for further referencing ; I have tried to refer this , so as to benefit the reader and get detailed information.
- All translations of the meanings of the Qur’aan , are from the Noble Qur’aan of Shaykh Taqiyyuddeen al-Hilalee and Shaykh Muhsin Khaan
- This book has no copyright. It can be spread and printed ; as long as : the intent is to spread the Noble knowledge of the Methodology of the Salaf.
And it is not for commercial use , unless permission is asked.
- Any errors in translation are accepted , please refer them back and we will correct them InshaaAllaah.
The one who is in need of the Mercy of Allaah ,
Aboo Waheeda as-Salafee. Jumaadul-aakhar 1428
All perfect praise is for Allaah , and may Peace and Blessings of Allaah be upon our Prophet , and his family and his companions , and those who follow their guidance . To proceed :
Verily there are many things which make the Youth reluctant to turn and enter into the pure methodology ; The Manhaj of the Salaf.
Thus many people have asked on this issue, and have inquired on the ways to purify ourselves from the blameworthy Hizbiyyah (partisanship) 1 .
So we say, and guidance is with Allaah (the means of treading the path of the Salaf are):
- Seeking assistance in Allaah. And supplicating to Him with servitude and pondering, and this is by the supplications that have been (authentically) narrated. So you supplicate to Allaah ; so that He guides you to His straight path , and that He keeps you firm on that straight path.
And from the supplications that have been narrated in this issue , is the duaa-istiftaah of Salaatul-layl (the opening du’aa in the night prayer) :
“ O Allaah, Lord of Jibraaeel, and Meekaaeel and Israafeel, Creator of the heavens and the earth, Knower of all that is hidden and open! It is You that will judge between Your servants in those matters about which they used to differ. Guide me by Your Grace to the Truth concerning that about which they differed, for indeed You guide whomsoever You wish to a path that is straight.”
And after that ; it is upon you (to follow ), preserve , take heed , be careful , and to ponder on ; The Book of Allaah and the Sunnaah of the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam .
- Establishing contact with the Scholars who are famous for having a correct aqeedah and a sound manhaj. As they are known, to say the truth and are just on establishing it. They are known by everyone to be on the manhaj of the salaf.
Therefore You have to be captivated and indulge into their books and their cassettes (audio recordings).
And you have to aspire and be bent on attending their gatherings and their sittings of knowledge , together with communicating with them whenever you have questions or doubts.
- You have to turn away from the books of the scholars and the students who are known as ‘the shaykhs of awakening’ . These are those who oppose the manhaj of the salaf . And they and what they call to are far from the manhaj.
These are known by the signs of causing fitna and campaigns , and their love of being known , As they are also known for being close to the people of Innovation and mingling with them.
- You should have the desire and be keen in seeking knowledge. And specifically in learning the Correct ‘aqeedah and being well conversed in it.
And I advise you with the books of Shaykhul-Islaam ibn Taymiyyah and his student Ibnul Qayyim , and the books of the reviver , Shaykhul-Islaam Muhammad ibn ‘AbdulWahhab. May Allaah have mercy on All of them .
And this advice goes along with you having the desire and keenness to read and study these books under a Salafee Shaykh who is well educated.
Also you should be keen and enthusiastic in learning the books of the Salaafus-Saalih ; which clarify the correct ‘aqeedah and the manhaj. And differentiates it from that which opposes the manhaj of the salaf. These are like the books :
- As-Sunnaah of Ibn Abee ‘Aasim
- As-Sunnaah of al-Khallal
- Kitaabus-Sunnaah of ‘Abdullaah Ibn Ahmad (ibn Hanbal)
- Sharhus- Sunnah of al-Barbaharee
- Kitaabul-I’tisaam of as-Shaatibee
- Al Ibaanah of Ibn Battah al-Ukbaree
- Sharh Usool al-I’tiqaad Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaa’ah of al-Laalikaa’ee
- Usool Sitta and The virtues of Islaam of Muhammad ibn ‘AbdulWahhab. May Allaah have mercy on them All.
- Getting rid of all the things that lead to the hizbees (the partisans) and their hizbiyyah (partisanship) . Like their books or the audio recordings and their anasheed (music) and their dramas and plays. All being things which Allaah did not send down any authority upon.
- Let not your heart be like a sponge. Such that it absorbs doubts and (leads to) accepting them.
- It is sufficient for you in this worldly life ; to stick to the Salafee scholars , and to be righteous to your parents , and to serve your family.
And likewise you should suffice yourself with the company (gatherings) of the friends who are righteous and are on the manhaj of the Salaf.
And if you wish to call people to the path of Allaah ; then do it through the books and audio tapes of the famous Salafee scholars.
Frequent the Salafee libraries and read in the books of ; tafseer of the Salaf , books of hadeeth , and the books of ‘aqeedah. And beware of going too advanced before learning the basics. And (because) the Scholars will know your lacking of being advanced.
And abstain and stay far away from the books of ideologies , like the books of Sayyid Qutb and his brother (Muhammad Qutb) 3 and those like them.
- Staying away from the doubtful individuals who are famous for speaking against those in authority.
And even after having all these calamities , he has authored books which have no status in the religion. But the blind followers and the hizbees covet these books and make them reference points.
Many scholars of the sunnah have refuted him and written books to expose his errors and his deviation. Some of the statements of the scholars :
Shaykh Muhammad Naasir ad-Deen al-Albaanee said : “Sayyid Qutb had no knowledge of the fundamental or subsidiary matters of Islaam.”
Imaam Ibn Baaz said, “… For his revilement of some of the Companions or just one of them is evil (munkar) and sinfulness (fisq) and he deserves to be given exemplary punishment for it – we ask Allaah to pardon him – however, if he reviled most of them and declared them sinners then he would become an apostate, because they are the Carriers of the Revelation. When he reviles them then this means that he is reviling the legislation.”
Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, one of the leading scholars of this century, was asked about the books of Sayyid Qutb, particularly Fi Dhilaalil-Qur’aan (In the Shade of the Qur’aan) and Ma’aalim fit-Taareeq (Milestones), wherein he replied:
“My statement – may Allah bless you – is that whoever is sincere to Allaah, His Messenger, and his brother Muslims, then he should encourage the people to read the books of those who have preceded us (the Salaf), from the books of tafseer (explanation of the Qur’aan) and other than (the books of) tafseer. These books contain more blessings, are more beneficial and are much better than the books of the later ones. As for the tafseer of Sayyid Qutb – may Allaah have mercy upon him – then it contains great calamities, however we hope that Allaah pardons him. It contains great calamities…”
And whenever it seems to you that they warn against evil or they help jihaad ; then know that most of this action of theirs , is based upon hizbiyyah (partisanship) and not on the sharee’ah.
And (also know that) their jihaad is ‘Hurooriyya’ 4 and not according to the Sunnah. And with that there is an example :
So if you see from them those who make takfeer on the Raafidaah (shee’ahs) and they say : “ those in authority should kick them (the shee’ah) out of the lands and exile them.” And if you say to them : “what is your opinion about the one who insults (degrades) the Sahaaba , like Sayyid Qutb ? ”
So if you see him hesitate and delay in answering ; then know that his detesting and his opinions are only for political reasons.
And if he is from those who say to you : “I dislike image-making (pictures) and dramas (plays) and televisions.” Then say to him : “what do you think about these people who display steadfastness in the religion , yet they take pictures through cell phones .e.t.c. , and they make fun and look down on the Muslims like those from Sudan or from Yemen and others , and they influence the youth into mischief making and magic ? “
So if he starts to enumerate the differences and he says it is from the advantage of da’wah and … and.. and… giving mere excuses. Then wash your hands from him (suffice yourself that he is not upright and abandon him). And there are many more examples like these.
- Remove and distance yourselves from giving bay’ah (pledge of allegiance) to the ‘ameers’ (heads) of gatherings and groups and youths. ( innovated , partisanship pledges of allegiance).
And proclaim : Binding on me is only one bay’ah , and that is to the rulers of this land – may Allaah preserve them- and I cannot in any way go against them and be pleased with allegiance to others.
4 Hurooriyya ; The methodology of the Hurooris . They are the earlier khawaarij. They are named after (Haraura : a village near Koofah in ‘Iraaq where the khawaarij assembled for the first time as a sect and to implement their deviant beliefs (making takfeer and making permissible the blood of Muslims, they also declare that a woman should make up the prayers she missed while in her menstrual period)
- Abstain from indulging in debating with the hizbees (partisans). And ask Allaah for them to be guided.
- And beware of their gatherings. Especially after you have known the deviance they are upon.
- The Messenger, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam, said in a hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah :
“In the last part of my Ummah (nation) , There will come a people who will tell of you things that ; not you, nor your fathers ever heard of. So beware , beware of them.” ((Saheeh Muslim))
- And the prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam, warned that whoever hears of the Dajjaal ; to flee from him. ((The Shaykh is emphasizing on the importance of abandoning and fleeing fitna. Thus he mentioned this point and reminded us , referring to the hadeeth of : ‘Imraan Bin Hussayn (radhiyaAllaahu ‘anhu) who says the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said ;
- ‘Those who hear about dajjaal should stay far from him. By Allaah! A person will approach him thinking he is a believer, but on seeing his amazing feats or by raising doubts , he will become his follower’.
- Narrated by Imaam Aboo Daawood in his Sunan , hadeeth no. : 4319. Hadeeth classified as saheeh by Shaykh Albanee rahimahullaah))
- Ibn ‘Abbaas (radhiyaAllaahu ‘anhum) said :
“Do not sit with the people of desires , because sitting with them is a disease of the hearts.”
- There are important books and tapes that the Hizbees fear, and try to conceal. Because in these books and tapes ; there is clear exposition of their characters and ideologies.
Try to obtain these through your Salafee brothers , or through the Salafee recording houses like :
- Tasjilaat Manhaj-us-Sunnaah as-sam’eeyah bihay as-suwaydiy bi Riyadh
- Tasjilaat Ibn Rajab fee Madeenah an-Nabawiyya
- Maktabah wa Tasjilaat al-asaal as-Salafiyyah bi Jeddah
- Staying away from politics , and occupying yourself with seeking knowledge.
And in this issue , there is a very beneficial book : “Madaariku an-Nadhar fee as- Siyaasah Baina ath-Tatbiqaat ash- Sharee’ah wa al-Infi’aalat al-Hamaasiyyah” by Shaykh ‘AbdulMaalik Ramadhaanee may Allaah keep him steadfast.
And the introduction to this book ; is written by Imaam Muhammad Naasiruddeen al- Albaanee (rahimahullaah) and by Shaykh ‘Allaamah ‘AbdulMuhsin al-‘Abbaad (hafidhahullaah).
- Openly display and proclaim your following of the Manhaj of the Salaf. And do not be ashamed to call yourself a Salafee.
And if someone was to tell you that you are praising yourself by doing this , then say to him ; “this is from the means of identification and not meant for praising.”
And ask him : “is any one who proclaims ‘I am a muslim’ or ‘I am a Sunni’ ; is this, praising one’s self also ?”
And memorize the statement of Shaykhul Islaam ibn Taymiyyah :
“ And There is no shame on the one who manifests the madhhab of the Salaf, and one who attaches himself to it and refers to it. Rather, it is obligatory to accept that from him ; by unanimous agreement , because the madhhab (way) of the Salaf is nothing but the Truth .”(( Majmoo al-Fataawaa 4/149))
- Beware and then beware again ! From looking at the books of the people of Innovations. And (the books) of those who defend and praise the people of innovations.
This is because in them ; is hidden poison.
Ibn Qudaamah (rahimahullah) said : “ And from the Sunnah is :
- abandoning the people of Innovations and their gatherings.
- leaving off debating and arguing with them in matters of the religion.
- And leaving off looking into the books of the innovators ,
- and (leaving off) listening to their speech.
And surely , every new matter in the religion ; is a bid’ah (innovation).
And Ibnul Qayyim (in a line of poetry) said , in warning against the books of the innovators :
“ They feel secure thinking they are hidden from us, but their books are known by those who are competent . We see its better for you to leave them, as a means of precaution from the traps of shaytaan .”
And if you want to study under somebody ; then look and emphasize on (finding out) his manhaj (methodology).
And return this affair to the scholars of Jarh wa ta’deel((Jarh wa ta’adeel: the science of critically analyzing people thus declaring some to be trustworthy and reliable and others to be abandoned or disapproved due to their being untrustworthy or unreliable)) ; from among the Salafee scholars. So if they warn you against this person ; then abandon him in the same manner you will run away from a lion.
And listen to what Imaam Ahmad (rahimahullaah) said : “ Beware of writing anything from the people of desires – whether little or much – . And it is upon you (to learn and take from) the people of narrations and the Sunaan.”
- Invite the general muslim public to the Manhaj of the Salaf ; by using wisdom and fair preaching. And it is upon you to have gentleness , kindness and wisdom with them.
According to the statement of the prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam :
“ Kindness is not to be found in anything except that it adds to its beauty ; and it is not withdrawn in anything except that it makes it defective.”(( Saheeh Muslim 2594))
The Description of the Partisans
For the hizbiyyeen (partisans) ; they have clear signs which distinguish them. And some of these are :
Divisions and splitting within the Religion .
And They call to this (splitting), by hiding behind the idea that ; there has to be many muslim organizations , and so that they compliment and perfect each other. !!
Abee Mudhafaar as-Sam’aanee (rahimahullaah) said :
“ And the proof that Ahlul Hadeeth are the people on the truth is that, If you were to search their books – from the first one to the last one , the past ones and new ones , those from different countries and different eras- you will find that the clarification of the ‘aqeedah is one and of the same manner.
They are all treading the same path and on the same foundations ; they don’t deviate nor do they depart from this path.
But if you look at the Ahlul Bid’ah (people of Innovations) and Ahlul Hawaa (people of desires) ; you will always find them divided and disagreeing into groups and parties.
It is almost impossible to find two of them, on the same path in ‘aqeedah.
They exclude each other , rather they go ahead and make takfeer . Thus the son makes takfeer of his father , a brother makes takfeer of his other brother, and the neighbor makes takfeer of his neighbor.
Hence you will always see them in conflicts , hatred , and differing . Their lifetimes pass by , while they never agree in their speech (ideas).
“ You would think they were united, but their hearts are divided, that is because they are a people who understand not.” 10
I (Shaykh Sultaan) say : And this is the condition of the hizbees . You will never find them having consensus. Hence you will see this one is a Tablighee , the other is a Qutubee Ikhwaani , the other is a bannawee, and the fourth one calls to the ‘Jamaa’at takfeer wa Hijra ‘ 11 . And so on and so on ….
And thus we see the Statement of The Exalted , applies to them. And this is :
To read more about the The Way To Salafiyyah book Click the download button below to get it for free