42. Surah Ash-Shurah (The Consultation)
In the Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, Most Merciful
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur’an, and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings].
3. Likewise Allah, the All-Mighty, the All-Wise inspires you (O Muhammad ) as (He inspired) those before you.
4. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth, and He is the Most High, the Most Great.
5. Nearly the heavens might rent asunder from above them (by His Majesty), and the angels glorify the praises of their Lord, and ask for forgiveness for those on the earth, verily, Allah is the Oft-Forgiving, the Most Merciful.
6. And as for those who take as Auliya’ (guardians, supporters, helpers, protectors, etc.) others besides Him [i.e. they take false deities other than Allah (as) protectors, and they worship them] Allah is Hafiz (Protector) over them (i.e. takes care of their deeds and will recompense them), and you (O Muhammad ) are not a Wakil (guardian or a disposer of their affairs) over them (to protect their deeds, etc.).
7. And thus We have inspired unto you (O Muhammad ) a Qur’an (in Arabic) that you may warn the Mother of the Towns (Makkah) and all around it. And warn of the Day of Assembling, of which there is no doubt, when a party will be in Paradise (those who believed in Allah and followed what Allah’s Messenger brought them) and a party in the blazing Fire (Hell) (those who disbelieved in Allah and followed not what Allah’s Messenger brought them)
8. And if Allah had willed, He could have made them one nation, but He admits whom He wills to His Mercy. And the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) will have neither a Wali (protector) nor a helper.
9. Or have they taken (for worship) Auliya’ (guardians, supporters, helpers, protectors, etc.) besides Him? But Allah, He Alone is the Wali (Protector, etc.). And it is He Who gives life to the dead, and He is Able to do all things.
10. And in whatsoever you differ, the decision thereof is with Allah (He is the ruling Judge). (And say O Muhammad to these polytheists:) Such is Allah, my Lord in Whom I put my trust, and to Him I turn in all of my affairs and in repentance.
11. The Creator of the heavens and the earth. He has made for you mates from yourselves, and for the cattle (also) mates. By this means He creates you (in the wombs). There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.
12. To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth, He enlarges provision for whom He wills, and straitens (it for whom He wills). Verily! He is the All-Knower of everything.
13. He (Allah) has ordained for you the same religion (Islam) which He ordained for Nuh (Noah), and that which We have inspired in you (O Muhammad ), and that which We ordained for Ibrahim (Abraham), Musa (Mosesý) and ‘Iesa (Jesus) saying you should establish religion (i.e. to do what it orders you to do practically), and make no divisions in it (religion) (i.e. various sects in religion). Intolerable for the Mushrikun , is that to which you (O Muhammad ) call them. Allah chooses for Himself whom He wills, and guides unto Himself who turns to Him in repentance and in obedience.
14. And they divided not till after knowledge had come to them, through selfish transgression between themselves. And had it not been for a Word that went forth before from your Lord for an appointed term, the matter would have been settled between them. And verily, those who were made to inherit the Scripture [i.e. the Taurah (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] after them (i.e. Jews and Christians) are in grave doubt concerning it (i.e. Allah’s true religion Islam or the Qur’an).
15. So unto this (religion of Islam, alone and this Qur’an) then invite (people) (O Muhammad ), and Istaqim [(i.e. stand firm and straight on Islamic Monotheism by performing all that is ordained by Allah (good deeds, etc.), and by abstaining from all that is forbidden by Allah (sins and evil deeds, etc.)], as you are commanded, and follow not their desires but say: “I believe in whatsoever Allah has sent down of the Book [all the holy Books, this Qur’an and the Books of the old from the Taurat (Torah), or the Injeel (Gospel) or the Pages of Ibrahim (Abraham)] and I am commanded to do justice among you, Allah is our Lord and your Lord. For us our deeds and for you your deeds. There is no dispute between us and you. Allah will assemble us (all), and to Him is the final return.
16. And those who dispute concerning Allah (His Religion of Islamic Monotheism, with which Muhammad has been sent), after it has been accepted (by the people), of no use is their dispute before their Lord, and on them is wrath, and for them will be a severe torment .
17. It is Allah Who has sent down the Book (the Qur’an) in truth, and the Balance (i.e. to act justly). And what can make you know that perhaps the Hour is close at hand?
18. Those who believe not therein seek to hasten it, while those who believe are fearful of it, and know that it is the very truth. Verily, those who dispute concerning the Hour are certainly in error far away.
19. Allah is very Gracious and Kind to His slaves. He gives provisions to whom He wills. And He is the All-Strong, the All-Mighty.
20. Whosoever desires (with his deeds) the reward of the Hereafter, We give him increase in his reward, and whosoever desires the reward of this world (with his deeds), We give him thereof (what is written for him), and he has no portion in the Hereafter.
21. Or have they partners with Allah (false gods), who have instituted for them a religion which Allah has not allowed. And had it not been for a decisive Word (gone forth already), the matter would have been judged between them. And verily, for the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers), there is a painful torment.
22. You will see (on the Day of Resurrection), the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) fearful of that which they have earned, and it (Allah’s Torment) will surely befall them, while those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous deeds (will be) in the flowering meadows of the Gardens (Paradise), having what they wish from their Lord. That is the supreme Grace, (Paradise).
23. That is (the Paradise) whereof Allah gives glad tidings to His slaves who believe (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds. Say (O Muhammad ): “No reward do I ask of you for this except to be kind to me for my kinship with you.” And whoever earns a good righteous deed, We shall give him an increase of good in respect thereof. Verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Ready to appreciate (the deeds of those who are obedient to Him).
24. Or say they: “He has invented a lie against Allah?” If Allah willed, He could have sealed your heart (so that you forget all that you know of the Qur’an). And Allah wipes out falsehood, and establishes the truth (Islam) by His Word (this Qur’an). Verily, He knows well what (the secrets) are in the breasts (of mankind).
25. And He it is Who accepts repentance from His slaves, and forgives sins, and He knows what you do.
26. And He answers (the invocation of) those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, and gives them increase of His Bounty. And as for the disbelievers, theirs will be a severe torment.
27. And if Allah were to enlarge the provision for His slaves, they would surely rebel in the earth, but He sends down by measure as He wills. Verily! He is in respect of His slaves, the Well-Aware, the All-Seer (of things that benefit them).
28. And He it is Who sends down the rain after they have despaired, and spreads abroad His Mercy. And He is the Wali (Helper, Supporter, Protector, etc.), Worthy of all Praise.
29. And among His Ayat (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs, etc.) is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and whatever moving (living) creatures He has dispersed in them both. And He is All-Potent over their assembling (i.e. resurrecting them on the Day of Resurrection after their death, and dispersion of their bodies) whenever He will.
30. And whatever of misfortune befalls you, it is because of what your hands have earned. And He pardons much. (See the Qur’an Verse 35:45).
31. And you cannot escape from Allah (i.e. His Punishment) in the earth, and besides Allah you have neither any Wali (guardian or a protector) nor any helper.
32. And among His Signs are the ships, in the sea, like mountains.
33. If He wills, He causes the wind to cease, then they would become motionless on the back (of the sea). Verily, in this are signs for everyone patient and grateful.
34. Or He may destroy them (by drowning) because of that which their (people) have earned. And He pardons much.
35. And those who dispute (polytheists, etc. with Our Messenger Muhammad ) as regards Our Ayat (proofs, signs, verses, etc. of Islamic Monotheism) may know that there is no place of refuge for them (from Allah’s punishment).
36. So whatever you have been given is but a passing enjoyment for this worldly life, but that which is with Allah (Paradise) is better and more lasting for those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism) and put their trust in their Lord (concerning all of their affairs).
37. And those who avoid the greater sins, and Al-Fawahish (illegal sexual intercourse, etc.), and when they are angry, they forgive
38. And those who answer the Call of their Lord [i.e. to believe that He is the only One Lord (Allah), and to worship none but Him Alone], and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and who (conduct) their affairs by mutual consultation, and who spend of what We have bestowed on them;
39. And those who, when an oppressive wrong is done to them, they take revenge.
40. The recompense for an evil is an evil like thereof, but whoever forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah. Verily, He likes not the Zalimun (oppressors, polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.).
41. And indeed whosoever takes revenge after he has suffered wrong, for such there is no way (of blame) against them.
42. The way (of blame) is only against those who oppress men and wrongly rebel in the earth, for such there will be a painful torment.
43. And verily, whosoever shows patience and forgives that would truly be from the things recommended by Allah.
44. And whomsoever Allah sends astray, for him there is no Wali (protector) after Him. And you will see the Zalimun (polytheists, wrong-doers, oppressors, etc.) when they behold the torment, they will say: “Is there any way of return (to the world)?”
45. And you will see them brought forward to it (Hell) made humble by disgrace , (and) looking with stealthy glance. And those who believe will say: “Verily, the losers are they who lose themselves and their families on the Day of Resurrection. Verily, the Zalimun [i.e. Al-Kafirun (disbelievers in Allah, in His Oneness and in His Messenger , polytheists, wrong-doers, etc.)] will be in a lasting torment.
46. And they will have no Auliya’ (protectors) to help them other than Allah. And he whom Allah sends astray, for him there is no way.
47. Answer the Call of your Lord (i.e. accept the Islamic Monotheism, O mankind, and jinns) before there comes from Allah a Day which cannot be averted. You will have no refuge on that Day nor there will be for you any denying (of your crimes as they are all recorded in the Book of your deeds).
48. But if they turn away (O Muhammad from the Islamic Monotheism, which you have brought to them). We have not sent you (O Muhammad ) as a Hafiz (protector) over them (i.e. to take care of their deeds and to recompense them). Your duty is to convey (the Message). And verily, when We cause man to taste of Mercy from Us, he rejoices thereat, but when some ill befalls them because of the deeds which their hands have sent forth, then verily, man (becomes) ingrate!
49. To Allah belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth. He creates what He wills. He bestows female (offspring) upon whom He wills, and bestows male (offspring) upon whom He wills.
50. Or He bestows both males and females, and He renders barren whom He wills. Verily, He is the All-Knower and is Able to do all things.
51. . It is not given to any human being that Allah should speak to him unless (it be) by Inspiration, or from behind a veil, or (that) He sends a Messenger to reveal what He wills by His Leave. Verily, He is Most High, Most Wise .
52. And thus We have sent to you (O Muhammad ) Ruhan (an Inspiration, and a Mercy) of Our Command. You knew not what is the Book, nor what is Faith? But We have made it (this Qur’an) a light wherewith We guide whosoever of Our slaves We will. And verily, you (O Muhammad ) are indeed guiding (mankind) to the Straight Path (i.e. Allah’s religion of Islamic Monotheism).
53. The Path of Allah, to Whom belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. Verily, all the matters at the end go to Allah (for decision).